Saturday, October 8, 2011

SNGF - My Genealogy Database Statistics

It's that time again...for some Saturday Night Genealogy Fun! Randy Seaver has posted this new fun task on his Genea-Musings Blog to list the statistics from your genealogy program: 


1)  If you have your family tree research in a Genealogy Management Program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database (hint:  the Help button is your friend!).

2)  Tell us which GMP you use, and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook status or Google+ stream comment.



Here's mine:


I use RootsMagic 4 as well (so does Randy) for my main genealogy program. In order to see my statistics, I go to File > Properties and the following window pops up: 



According to this, I have the following:

People: 8561
Families: 2795
Events: 17603
Alternate Names:  61
Places:  1711
Sources:  1397
Citations:  22644
Repositories:  67
To do Tasks: 50
Multimedia Items: 2
Multimedia links: 1
Addresses: 11
Correspondence: 17

Obviously from these stats you can tell that I don't mess with multimedia items and from the few number of places I have, either I have done a good job consolidating them, or my people just didn't move around much; I have quite a few sources, but this number could probably be higher if it were easier to create them. However, I am using the citations I created because I have over 20k citations! I'm using the repository function of my software, although I haven't quite figured out its usefulness yet. I do like to have them linked to my to-do list which I have just recently started using. 

Tell us what your stats look like and leave a link to your blog as a comment on Randy's blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment