Friday, February 20, 2009

Web Search Feature of FTM 9.0

I learned that I could search records in ancestry.com from my Family Tree Maker software much faster than I could in Internet Explorer. Ancestry.com actually attaches a copy of the record directly to the person I queried. This has been a huge time saver for a few reasons:
(1) I don't have to worry about saving and finding a place to put the media files because FTM does that for me automatically
(2) I don't have to spend hours trying to figure out the best way to cite my source
(3) FTM automatically attaches it to relevant facts like name and residence (Census reports)
(4) If it is a later census report, it will also attach the source and media to all relevant people included in that record. For example, FTM would attach an 1860 census to the head of house, spouse and all children. It will even add that child to your tree for you if you elect to do so! There was a bit of a learning curve in trying to figure out how to add a census report for multiple people not in the same household, but I got it figured out and was on a roll all last night, well into the wee hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment