Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Abraham Lincoln's Tomb

Yesterday we visited Abraham Lincoln's Tomb which was just a short drive from the conference. The structure is located in an actual cemetery, although I did not see the name of the cemetery posted anywhere. This is the sign that was posted at the entrance of the cemetery. This granite and marble sign reads "Lincoln Tomb State Historic Site."

 This is the view of the structure and obelisk surrounding Lincoln's "tomb" in the back of the cemetery.















With some close ups of the statues adorning the top of the structure
Mr Lincoln himself greets us as we walk inside. 












Here is the tomb. Lincoln's body is buried 10 feet beneath this structure made of Arkansas marble. Behind me Lincoln's wife Mary Todd and 3 of their 4 sons are buried in crypts (in the wall).









A Plaque describing the flags.

4 comments:

  1. We went here for our 8th grade class trip and I can remember standing inside here. Wish I had my pictures from that trip still. Hopefully, I will be able to visit the cemetery before I leave on Friday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri, it was cool. I would like to visit his house next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were in Springfield in June and walked the cemetery very early one morning. It is a beautiful cemetery, especially during a quiet morning when the dew is still on the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi, yes, the whole cemetery was quite nice and it was a beautiful day :-)

    ReplyDelete