Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wordless Wednesday - William Edward Peters

Here1 is a photo of my 2nd great-grandfather, William Edward Peters. When I first started researching him, I didn't have a very good opinion of him. My Grandfather's cousin said he was kind of a mean old man. And in some of his photos he looks like a mean old man. However, I just learned of the true story of his son, William Herbert Peters who was not really his biological son. He was the son of William's wife, Dora King who had Herbert with another man prior to marrying my 2nd great-grandfather William Edward Peters. William raised him as his own and gave him his name. You can read all about Herbert here.

Anyways, here's a photo of my 2nd great-grandfather, William Edward Peters.


This photo was taken about 1944 in Bristow or Pocahontas, Randolph Co., AR. He died Feb 3, 1948. Here is a copy of his obituary and death certificate

SOURCES

  1. Photo of William Edward Peters from the personal collection of Lawrence O. Godwin, Jr, digitally scanned by Ginger R. Smith for her collection, 2005.

5 comments:

  1. Great picture! I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Kathy and Carol, thank you! I have some photos I will share soon. This is part of the goals I set for 2012 - to break down my Peters brick wall. I figured what better way to do that then to get what little information I have - out there!

      Delete
  3. Why was this photo taken? it looks like a man who has reluctantly been asked to sit for some type of official photo. a licence.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be an "official" photo. I have another photo of him that I found attached to some records that were sent to my great-grandmother (his daughter). What kind of license would this have been for?

      Delete