Saturday, October 1, 2011

SNGF - Matrilinial Madness

Randy Seaver has given us another Saturday Night Genealogy Fun mission and it goes like so:

1) List your matrilineal line - your mother, her mother, etc. back to the first identifiable mother. Note: this line is how your mitochondrial DNA was passed to you!
2) Tell us if you have had your mitochondrial DNA tested, and if so, which Haplogroup you are in.
3) Does this list spur you to find distant cousins that might share one of your matrilineal lines?

Here is mine:

1) My Matrilinial Line - I can only go back 6 generations including myself. The oldest direct female ancestor is Lucendy "Cindy" Gentry who was born April 12, 1868 in Tennessee and died February 19, 1905 in Lamar County, Texas.

1. Ginger R. Smith
2. Marilyn Godwin Smith
3. Sue C. Lasiter
4. Thelma Louise Benson
5. Eva Mae Dennis
6. Lucendy Gentry

2) I have had my mitochondrial DNA tested and I am in haplogroup H

3) Although I seem to have a good handle on what to do with my Family Finder autosomal DNA results, I have no clue what to do with my mtDNA results. Most of my autosomal matches have been for my Father's side of the family. I haven't been able to find any connections to my Mother's side of the family as of yet. I don't think this is very uncommon however because researching the females lines can oftentimes be very difficult.


3 comments:

  1. We might be cousins! Both of us have matrilineal lines stopping in TN with H haplogroup. What more could we want to claim kinship (grinning)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Susan, yes, we could be cousins! I saw you were able to go back 8 generations which is great! What is the secret to your success? as I know researching the matrilinial lines can be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Sara Anne Scribner
    2. Mary Lou Thwaite
    3. Annie Belle Godwin
    4. Elizabeth Rebecca Juhan
    5. Amanda Mandolene Hutchinson
    6. Sarah McEwen
    7. Rachel Hawkins

    My mitochondrial DNA is U2e.

    ReplyDelete