Saturday, February 21, 2015

Running a Targeted Surname Search in my Smith Relatives' ftDNA Results

Now that I have found several Agee matches to myself on AncestryDNA, and I have entered their direct line ancestors into my Family Tree, I wanted to see which of my other Smith family members had matches to descendants of this Agee family. My Smith relatives having matches to Agee descendants would provide further evidence that our Smith family has a common Agee ancestor.

I logged in to each of my Smith family members' ftDNA accounts and searched for the surname AGEE.

This is what my list of results looked like for my cousin Shari. You can see that on the right side of the page, the Agee surname is displayed in blue bolded text. The 2nd match down does not have Agee in their list of surnames. They showed up in the results list because they have Magee in their list of surnames. I did not include them in my list of matches.


In order for the Agee surname to show up in Shari's matches' list of surnames as bolded blue text, I had to first add the Agee surname to MY list of surnames. You can do this by clicking on your name in the upper right hand corner of your ftDNA profile, then clicking the Genealogy tab, then clicking on the Surnames link. 



I added the Agee surname to the surname lists of all of my Smith cousins' ftDNA profiles and then I ran a search for matches who had Agee in their list of surnames. This is what  I found: 


My Relative Match's AGEE Ancestor
Cousin Mike 1 match to a descendant of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son David
Cousin Linda 1 match who has Agee from France and VA, but no tree (related to Darrel's match who had Agee from France & VA, but no tree)
Cousin Shari (Linda's Half-Sister) 2 matches to a descendant of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Matthew (these 2 matches are related)
1 match who has Agee from SC (no tree)
Grandfather Darrel 2 matches to a descendant of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Isaac Agee (these 2 matches are related)
1 match to a descendant of Mary Elizabeth Agee & Jean Faure Ford via their son Daniel Ford
1 match who has Agee from France and VA, but no tree (related to Linda's match who had Agee from France & VA but no tree)
1 match to a descendant of Frances Agee from Wilkes County GA (same match as Tim)
My father Tim 1 match to a descendant of Frances Agee from Wilkes County GA (same match Darrel has)
Ginger No Matches to Agee in ftDNA

I then pulled up each relative's Agee match in their chromosome browser and downloaded the chromosome data to excel.  I combined all of the ch data into one excel file and sorted by chromosome number and then by starting location (on the chromosome). The descendants of Anthony Agee's son Isaac and the descendants of Anthony Agee's son Matthew have a lot of overlap on ch 3. My grandfather's match who descends from Mary Elizabeth Agee, sister of Mathieu Agee, did not match up with anyone on more than 5 cM. He did match up on a small segment on ch 11 from 63-67 mil, 4.61cM, 900 SNPs with the descendants of Anthony Agee's son Isaac (not shown).

TESTEE NAME MATCHNAME CH START LOCATION END LOCATION cM SNPs
Darrel Eugene Smith Descendant-1 of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Isaac Agee 3 169205391 184359986 19.34 3200
Darrel Eugene Smith Descendant-2 of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Isaac Agee 3 169205391 184694720 19.35 3300
Shari Jo JENKINS-Free Descendant-1 of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Matthew 3 171575778 180390543 13.09 2000
Shari Jo JENKINS-Free Descendant-2 of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Matthew 3 171575778 180390543 13.09 2000

To be honest, I've kind of actually given up on looking at chromosome data to evaluate my matches, but I thought I would include a summary of my cursory findings here just in case anyone was interested. Also, I would need to run a comparison of the matches who are descendants of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Isaac Agee against the matches who are descendants of Anthony Agee & Christina Worley via their son Matthew to see if they, too, overlap on these same DNA segments. Assuming that Darrel and Shari also overlap on these same segments of DNA, then there is a 3-way match which would indicate a common ancestor shared by Darrel, Shari, and these matches.

If you are also wondering why I did not do this in my last post with my AncestryDNA results, it is because AncestryDNA does not offer the ability to look at your chromosome data. I used to use a 3rd party tool called Gedmatch.com, but that service is no longer reliable, so I just don't bother messing with the chromosome data much anymore.

Next Steps:

  1. My next step will be to add the direct line Agee ancestors of these matches into my family tree and cite them as coming from ftDNA online gedcoms. I will then create an abbreviated family tree chart that I can reference quickly to see what matches came from what Agee Ancestors
  2. My half-brother's AncestryDNA results just came back so I will run a surname search for Agee matches in his results; if there are several, I will organize them by patriarch and add them to my list of matches. Then I will add their Agee ancestors to my family tree if they have not already been added. I will also compare his Agee matches to mine to see if there are any overlaps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment