Sunday, October 12, 2014

Annie O'Neal's Will, Johnston Co., NC 1829

The will of Annie O'Neal

Annie O'Neal was the wife of Zachariah O'Neal who wrote his will in Johnston County, North Carolina in March 1796. Annie wrote her will August 17th, 1829 and it was proved in Johnston County February 1835 court.

I recorded the will of Zachariah O'Neal and his wife Annie because I was looking for the parents of my ancestor Moses O'Neal who wrote his will in Johnston County, North Carolina in 1813. Zachariah O'Neal wrote his will in 1796 which would be an appropriate time for Moses' father to have written his will. Unfortunately, Moses was not mentioned as a child of Zachariah O'Neal.

I have still included Annie's will below with the hopes that it will help another O'Neal researcher. In order to save copying costs, I photographed Annie's will with my iPhone. The transcript is below.


Will of Anna O'Neal Johnston Co NC p1
Will of Anna O'Neal, 1835, Johnston Co NC Original Will Records, C.R. 056.801.8, North Carolina State Archives, Photographed by Ginger R. Smith, March 2014; p. 1


Will of Anna O'Neal Johnston Co NC p2
Will of Anna O'Neal, 1835, Johnston Co NC Original Will Records, C.R. 056.801.8, North Carolina State Archives, Photographed by Ginger R. Smith, March 2014; p. 2

Will of Anna O'Neal, 1835, Johnston Co NC Original Will Records, C.R. 056.801.8, North Carolina State Archives, Photographed by Ginger R. Smith, March 2014; p. 3

Will of Anna O'Neal Johnston Co NC p4
Will of Anna O'Neal, 1835, Johnston Co NC Original Will Records, C.R. 056.801.8, North Carolina State Archives, Photographed by Ginger R. Smith, March 2014; p. 4

The will of Anna O'Neal, written 17 Aug 1829, proved Feb 1835. 
Transcribed by Ginger R Smith, ginger.reney@gmail.com, 28 Sep 2014

In the name of God Amen I Ana Oneal of
the County of Johnston and State of
North Carolina do this 17th day of August
1829 make and ordain this my last 
will and testament in manner and form 
as followith first give and Bequeath to
my son Stephen Oneal fore negros by
the name of Lewis Bransill Charity and Mary
to Him and His Heirs for ever-------

2nd I give and Bequeath to my son Stephen
ONeal all my House hold and kitchen furniture
of every kind and all my stock of every kind
Consisting of Horses Hogs and Cattle and 
all my working tools of every kind. Also two 
Hundred and ninty acres of Land in said
County and adjoining the Lands of Josiah &
Holloman and other for Him and His Heirs
for ever.

3rd I give to my son Micajah Oneal
fifty dollars in money for him and his heirs 
for ever

4th I give to Aley Baley seventy five 
Dollars for she and her heirs for ever

5th I put in the Hands of Stephen ONeal
and Benjamin Haut? my Executors to this
will five negros by the name of Annicka
Gatsey Zilla Terrell and Hennery to be sold 
at _______ of Six Months and when sold
my executors pay the Amount of said bond
into the hands of the guardian of Lurry? 
Haust, Henson Haust, and Willey Haut orphans
of William _ Haust ___ which sum my
daughter Lurry Earp Owes to the above orphans 
to the amount of fore hundred and fifty Dollars

6th my will is that if the said negros over 
pays the sum of fore hundred and fifty 
dollars which my daughter owes to said 
orphan then the residue of said money 
to be equally divided between Lurry
Haust, Hinson Haust, and Willey Haust 
orphan of William _ Haust Est?

7th I appoint my beloved son Stephen
Oneal and Benjamin Haust Executors to 
this my last will and testament in 
witness where I do here unto set
my hand and seal this day and date
above written

              Anna (Her X Mark) ONeal

Attest
Richardson Oneal
A Richardson

State of North Carolina
Johnston County
February Term 1835
Then was the Execution of this deed duly
proven in open court by the oaths of Richardson ONeal one of
the subscribing witness - and Allen Richardson the other ______
witness having been proven to be out of the State his signature 
was duly proven and said will ordered to be recorded. 

          Test Rm Sanders CC

I wasn't sure at first if this Anna was the same Annie, wife of Zachariah O'Neal because Anna only mentioned a couple of the children that Zachariah had mentioned in his will. Did the children die or move away? Or did Anna feel that they had already received their legacies?

Children mentioned in Zachariah's Will (1796):
1. Thomas
2. Winney
3. Creasey
4. Edee
5. Lodowick
6. Stephen
7. Micajah
8. Aley Houst

Children mentioned in Annie's Will (1829):
1. Stephen
2. Micajah
3. Aley Baley (is this the same as Aley Houst above? - the Haust orphans are mentioned)
4. Laurie Earp?

Also, Zachariah willed several negros to his wife Anna named Dick, Peter, and Jinnie. However, in Annie's will, she mentioned negros Lewis, Bransill, Charity, and Mary to go to her son Stephen; and Annicka, Gatsey, Zilla, Ferrell, and Hennery to be sold. What happened to Dick, Peter, and Jinnie? Were they redistributed to Annie's children prior to her writing her will? Did they die? Were they sold or given away to others?

If I were to continue researching this family, these are the steps I would take:

  1. Review the Johnston Co Deed records to determine family relationships 
  2. Research the 8 children of Zachariah O'Neal to determine why they were not mentioned in their mother Annie's will of 1829 - did they die or did they move away ?
  3. Research Aley Houst, Aley Baley, and Laurey Earp and determine their connection to the Houst orphans

2 comments:

  1. A very interesting will with much food for thought. Thank you for sharing the handwritten version and your transcribed version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian, thanks for checking out the will. I will be posting more O'Neal wills in the next few weeks, so check back. I am posting Zachariah's wife Annie's will this week. Are you descended from the O'Neals?

      Delete