Osieola Davis was the sister of my 2nd great grandmother, Lou Ella Davis Godwin. She lived in Los Angeles, CA. She was very close to my Godwin family and sent pictures to my great grandparents often. Many of these pictures were recovered from my grandfather and his sisters’ collection of photos. Osieola was often mistaken for my 2nd great grandmother, Lou Ella in the pictures. I have sent copies of the pictures to Osieola’s grandson, Michael L. Peters to verify his grandmother was in them. Here is a snapshot of Osieola’s life:
Osieola Davis was born 20 Jan 1885 in Arkansas, the second child of James F Davis and Dora Nix (1). In 1890 her mother Dora Davis remarried to William Carpenter in Sharp County, Arkansas (2). Osieola, her sister, Lou Ella Davis, and 4 half siblings were enumerated with their mother and their step father William Carpenter on the 1900 Sharp County, AR census report in Highland Township (3).
Osieola Davis married Samuel Loyd 19 Oct 1902 in Sharp Co., AR. Osieola and Samuel Loyd moved to Oklahoma sometime between 1900 and 1910. They were enumerated on the 1910 Hulbert, Cherokee County, OK census report. Their two children, Gladys and Davis Loyd were enumerated with them, along with Samuel’s widowed mother Malley Loyd. Samuel Loyd was a stock tender(4). He did not apply or receive any land grants in OK (5).
Osieola Davis Loyd remarried to Ester V Clark sometime between 1910 and 1920. They were enumerated with Osieola’s two children on the 1920 Jasper County, MO census report in Joplin, MO (6). Ester was enumerated as “Edward Clark.” He was a bartender in a saloon. He was from Missouri.
Osieola and Ester Clark removed to Los Angeles, CA sometime between 1920 and 1930. They were enumerated on the 1930 Los Angeles County, CA census report in Montebello Gardens, Whittier Township. Osieola’s son Davis was enumerated with them. According to the census report, they lived at 761 Elnora Street (7).
Osieola Clark died of colon cancer 22 Mar 1955 in Los Angeles, CA (1). I obtained a copy of Osieola’s death certificate from her grandson, Michael L Peters. Mike and I were not able to find an obituary for Osieola Clark. She was buried in Park Lawn Cemetery (or Memorial Park) in Commerce, Los Angeles Co., CA.
Osieola and Samuel Loyd had two children, Gladys Irene Loyd and Davis T. Loyd. Gladys Irene Loyd married Rulon Richard Peters; she died 4 Mar 1997 in Thousand Oaks, Ventura Co., CA (8). Davis T. Loyd married Annie May Stumpf; he died 18 May 1996 in Lake Isabella, Kern Co., CA. Davis and Anne had no children (9).
Picture of Lou Ella Davis Godwin Otten on the left in the solid dark dress and her sister, Osieola Davis Clark in the print dress on the right. Original photo privately held by Lou Ella’s grandson, Lawrence Godwin, Fort Smith, Arkansas.
Osieola Davis Clark and her dog Butch and her 1937 Dodge. Original photo privately held by Lou Ella’s grandson, Lawrence Godwin, Fort Smith, Arkansas.
- Osieola Clark, death certificate, 22 Mar 1955, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Office, State of California.
- Sharp County Marriage Records, user submitted files, online.
- 1900 Sharp Co., Highland Twp., AR census report, 4-5 June 1900, Series T623, Roll 77, p 44.
- 1910 Cherokee Co., Hulbert Twp., OK census report, 29 Apr 1910, Series T624, Roll 1244, page 5B, ED 12, Image 693.
- BLM GLO records, land patent search, online.
- 1920 Jasper Co., Joplin, MO census report, 6 Jan 1920, p. 5A (Edward V Clark, head)
- 1930 Los Angeles Co., Montebello Gardens, Whittier Twp., CA census report, 9 Apr 1930, Roll 175, page 7B, ED 1558, Image 1119.0
- Gladys Peters, death certificate, 4 Mar 1997, Vital Records Section, Ventura County Public Health Department, State of California.
- Personal correspondence with Michael L. Peters, 11 Sept 2008