Friday, May 16, 2008

Civil War pension applications of Richard Smith

I received copies of Richard Smith's pension application from my grandfather, Darrel Smith June 2007. My goal is to transcribe them in their entirety.

Update 1/14/09: All 60 pages of the pension packet have been scanned and saved to my hardrive. I made two digital copies of each page, 1 .tif format and 1 .jpg format. The .tif files were moved to my external harddrive in the XL Files / Smith / Richard Smith Pension Application Files folder. The .jpg files were saved in genealogy/Smith/Richard Smith (1838-1913)/ Pension Application Files folder.

I started a word document - "index.doc" with a table that includes page no., date, and notes. I'm keeping the pages in their originally numbered order (by Darrel Smith).

Here is a copy of a survey Richard Smith submitted to the Pension Board. It is important because it lists Richard Smith's two wives' names and the names of his living children. Survey was submitted Aug 4, 1898:


Another thing to note about this survey is that Richard Smith listed his son Preston's date of birth as Aug 24, 1868. Preston Smith's obituaries, death certificate, and headstone list his date of birth as Aug 15, 1866. This contradicts with the information Richard provided about his oldest living son, Ray Smith whom he listed as being born Oct 9, 1866.

No comments:

Post a Comment